Internet's #1 shoulder riding community

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-14 08:33:19

Jeff
Admin
Male (56), US
Website

banned in another NYC club

For those in or visiting New York, add "Terminal 5" to the "Nokia Theatre" to those venues prohibiting shoulder sitting during concerts.  New policy just went into effect.  It seems strange because it is a large (3000 people) venue, but it was done for "safety reasons."

#2 2007-12-15 21:51:10

Ladylifter
Male (49), United States

Re: banned in another NYC club

Yeah because people topple over.  I was at MSG to see The Who in 1996 and we had floor seats.  There was a small girl sitting on her friends shoulders and her friend was standing on a chair!!! She didn't have many friends that night assure you.

#3 2008-03-02 10:35:32

Jeff
Admin
Male (56), US
Website

Had good luck at Madison Square Garden last week.  Shoulder riding was allowed at Foo Fighters and Linkin Park concerts.  Many shoulder riders at Linkin Park.  We were up for 13 songs, about half the concert.  The Foo Fighters concert was our first in a couple months, and I felt a little weak at the start.  S. said I was shaky, and she never says that.  But by the end of the concert my body got used to it again and I was my usual self two days later at Linkin Park.  It is a physical stress, and needs repetition to stay in shape.  My Chemical Romance is coming to MSG in May, which should be a great concert with lots of riding!

#4 2008-03-02 18:03:04

namaegaaru
Male (66), United States of America

Shoulder riding may become illegal in public places all over the world at this rate Beaches, swiiming pools, and parks seem to be the primary places to give shoulder rides. Shoulder riding may become prohibited on all property that tenants lease. 

We need a worldwide movement against these excessive tyrannical liability laws and application of them. Of course attorneys will resist because this would impair their opportunity to litigate idiotic lawsuits.  Fortunately attornies will always be outnumbered, other people in other professions are needed to build their houses, provide their food, clothing, shelter, office buildings, vehicles, etc., such that they can be outvoted in most parliments or legislatures.  Many people with interests besides shoulder rides are also against abusive excessive lawsuits such that there is hope.

Sam

#5 2008-03-03 11:02:52

scottydl
Admin
Male (62), Australia

Thanks Sam & the rest here for your postings. I firmly believe that shoulder riding will never be seen in public places very soon as well - thanks to all this health & safety & litigation nonsense. Most public beaches & swimming pools in Australia already do not allow shoulder riding of any sort.

Photos such as the one I just posted under 3/4 high will soon be just a memory, at least in public swimming pools like this. I was so looking forward to observing these teen kids at my local pool as they meticously planned a 3-high tower -a teenage boy around 18 was going to lift his girlfriend (around the same age) plus the girls younger sister (around 11 or 12). As soon as the tower was up, there was only a few seconds till the depressing sound of the lifeguards shouts & whistles - one would have thought they were committing a major capital offence the way he carried on.

How depressing. I remember much happier days at my local swimming pool in the 1970s as hordes of kids rode each others shoulders endlessly without incident. We stacked ourselves on top of each other 3 & 4 high, had hours upon hours of endless chicken fights (shoulder ride fights as we called them) and even rode on each others shoulders on the lawns around the pool as well. In the hot Summer at the end of 6th grade I lived at the pool all day with some school friend - boy or girl - usually riding on my shoulders with their thighs straddling my neck. As I was slightly taller than some of my fellow classmates, boy or girl, I was a popular horse for their endless demands for shoulder rides. Some of the boys in my class although shorter than me had solidly built, muscular bodies (unlike me) and most would have been my weight easily - and more - and their fights were furious with their solid suntanned thighs endlessly twisting my neck in all directions as we fought each other in water and on land till I dropped from exhaustion. Then yet another heavy boy would straddle my neck whilst I was sitting down and demand that I stand up and give him a shoulder ride and so on it went. Another favorite was walking along the concrete to the pool kiosk with some cute skinny little blonde 80-pound girl demanding that I carry her on my shoulders both there & back - as the concrete was too hot for her bare feet - we would walk along slowly whilst she rode high on my shoulders, legs tucked behind my back, giggling & laughing away and flexing her muscles showing off to her friends whilst walking with us - her cute suntanned skinny legs squeezing my neck as she rode on top of me then watching the guy in the kiosk's reaction when we ordered food with the same very nice girl still riding contentedly on top of my neck like a queen. I always remember how brown this girl was - just lovely suntan till a deep brown, in her cute little 2 piece bathing suit. The shoulder rides didn't last just a few minutes - my friends would make me carry them over & over for hours at a time. The boys were the most difficult shoulder rides of all - I would stagger around the lawns near the pool shaking & swaying with some solid thighs wrapped high around my head as I carried some kid (who was probably heavier than me) on my shoulders. I would place my hands on his knees for balance, he would tuck his feet either side of my back, squeeze his thighs around my neck and ride me around like a horse with the occassional "giddy up" comment or 'Look at Scotty hes strong - he can carry me on his shoulders" and so on. They did not want to come down once they were up either. I ended up so sore in the shoulder section by the end of the day yet contented!! And all this without one injury or incident.

What a mad place the world has become these days!!

Regards

Scotty dl

#6 2008-03-04 00:55:35

louie_sr
Male (36), Austria

Hi Scotty,

thanks for this amazing story from "good old times" wink
It was great to read and I am sure I am not the only one who envys your for such remarkable experiences! You know you can really feel lucky for them!

It's sad to hear that shoulder rides are not allowed anymore at public places in parts of this world. However we should never loose hope or give up. We have to make sure that shoulder riding will survive for the next generations! And I am sure it will! Of course it is important to be careful as well! Never drop a rider and sometimes you have jerks who just because they think it's fun will try to hit either the rider or the ridee so both fall - this can lead to bad injuries or even worse as we have seen once in a video. But I think the members of our group are aware on this and know very well how to give a safe shoulder ride.
Scotty, if the public places like pools or beaches will not allow any rides there are still all the other places to give rides like on the street, the lawn etc. Luckily I have not noticed any of these regulations here in Austria or Central Europe. Still many shoulder rides at concerts, fetivals, parades, outdoor events, pools and beaches. There are only a few exceptions so far. I guess I am still living in a democracy...

Don't give up!

Regards,
Louie

#7 2008-03-09 03:52:25

Ladylifter
Male (49), United States

I went to see the Heavy Metal band W.A.S.P. at The Filmore down in Manhattan 2 weeks ago and I saw a petitle asian girl shoulder riding a guy and no bouncers made a move to tell her to get down.  My attention was drawn between W.A.S.P. on stage and the cute girl sitting on the guy's shoulders.  After about maybe 7 minutes he put her down of his own accord.  I guess he got tired.

#8 2008-04-07 09:00:22

Jeff
Admin
Male (56), US
Website

Thanks for the tip - will try it out there.

#9 2008-05-31 06:32:40

Jeff
Admin
Male (56), US
Website

At the My Chemical Romance concert in May in Madison Square Garden shoulder riding was banned.  Bouncers in green blazers would converge on a couple very quickly to take them down.  It was a disappointment, and setback compared to concerts in the same venue earlier in the year.

#10 2008-06-27 08:37:33

Jeff
Admin
Male (56), US
Website

Roseland in NYC is very kind toward shoulder riding.  At the Less Than Jake concert tonight we were up for more than half of the set and not one bouncer bothered us.  There were several other couples too up over the course of the evening.

So for indoor venues in NYC: yea to Hammerstein and Roseland, nay to Terminal 5, and Nokia.  MSG has been variable depending on the band and security for that night, but given the price of their floor "pit" tickets, it's not worth the risk.  I still haven't checked out Fillmore at Irving Plaza which one member recommended.

#11 2009-02-26 05:24:22

Jeff
Admin
Male (56), US
Website

If at first you don't succeed - try again!

Last night at Hammerstein in NYC, 3 Doors Down played.  Twice we went up into a shoulder sit and were ordered down by security.  So we crossed over to the other side of the auditorium.  We went up and down into shoulder sits every other song all night long, and no one said a word.  So security guys can vary in their attitude toward shoulder riding, and if the security guy covering one zone doesn't allow it, don't give up, try another zone.

#12 2009-02-26 22:50:03

mastadon99
Male (76), England
Website

Hi Whats going on in the States-why is shoulder riding banned in so many venues.
You will have to move to UK-we are much more understanding.

Taurus.a well meaning pony

#13 2009-03-01 18:35:31

namaegaaru
Male (66), United States of America

Evil, greedy American attorneys write ambiguous unclear laws that make everything illegal and subject to lawsuits so that attorneys can litigate more cases and make more money at the expense of the rest of society.

Yes, us Americans do need to learn from the rest of you before shoulder riding and all other fun is banned everywhere.

Sam

#14 2009-03-01 19:35:56

mastadon99
Male (76), England
Website

If all other fun is banned every where- then the end of the human race is in sight,
Quickly may it happen.

Taurus.a well meaning pony

#15 2009-04-23 07:56:21

Jeff
Admin
Male (56), US
Website

NY's Irving Plaza (the Filmore at Irving Place) was not friendly to shoulder riding.  We were able to stay up for no more than 6 or 7 songs in a 1 1/2 hour concert.  Bouncers would come by and tap me on the back to get down.  I saw them take down another couple too, then he joked around with them, almost apologizing, shrugging his shoulders, etc.  Twice we got lucky and stayed up for two songs in a row.  So for indoor venues in NYC it's just Roseland, Webster Hall, and Hammerstein.  Anywhere else is a crap-shoot.  The outdoor venues should be better this summer, but we've lost a friendly one, McCarren Pool Park, to development.

Last edited by Jeff (2009-04-23 21:39:33)

#16 2009-04-23 23:18:02

riderxxxx
Male (71), USA

One venue still seems to be untouched by the dark forces of riding suppression: Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village in Manhattan.  There are VERY few big events there except for the Halloween and Gay Pride parades, but lots of performers gather fairly big crowds in warm weather, and shoulder rides at the back of the crowds helps for photography and (especially) fun.  Sometimes there are concerts at the band shell in Central Park (also in Manhattan) that gather big enough audiences for shoulder rides, and occasional concerts on the Great Lawn in Central Park can have enormous audiences with lots of shoulder riding if the music is exciting enough and the weather nice and warm.

David

#17 2014-01-27 09:28:30

Jeff
Admin
Male (56), US
Website

add yet another one to the list of concert venues where s r is banned in NYC: the Music Hall of Williamsburg -- security clearly said s r was prohibited due to "liability reasons".

it is also banned at Brooklyn Bowl which is nearby geographically

#18 2016-10-17 18:12:01

Jeff
Admin
Male (56), US
Website

Terminal 5 is now okay for s r. But one has to be in the middle or back of the crowd, not up front by security for the stage. EDM is a better bet than standard bands. I'll post a photo in wom bonus from there.

#19 2017-07-28 13:54:30

Jeff
Admin
Male (56), US
Website

Webster Hall is closing in 2 weeks.  A big blow for s r here in NYC.  They were the single club that always allowed, and actually encouraged s r. by photographing it for publicity photo purposes.  The building was sold by its family owners to a large entertainment chain and will undergo major renovations.  We'll see next year if security is tightened...

Roseland was closed 2 years ago for land development.

Board footer