Ultimate shoulder rides

Internet's #1 shoulder riding community

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-23 04:46:12

Jehann

Giving directions to your carrier without speaking to him

In my opinion, the best way is to tenderly use his ears. Pull right and left ear for a right or left turn. With your thumbs, push against the back of the ears so that they fold forward to let him/her know you want him/her to go in a straight line.
Even more exciting if the carrier has big sticking out ears !!

#2 2021-08-23 12:15:03

frederik
Male (40), Germany

Re: Giving directions to your carrier without speaking to him

I think a small bridle bit like for small ponies can be quite useful and make. sense.
The rider can sit upright and steer her pony to the desired direction without talking.
Most riders do not talk very much  to their horses.

#3 2021-08-23 12:30:10

caballito
Bonus member
Male (In his sixties), South America

Bridles (bit and reins tied to the ridden's head) are the best instrument to give commands to the horse or mare while it is being ridden.

Little kicks to the side can also work, there are those who like to feel spurs.

Can work simple instructions like: Giddy up! or Whoa!

#4 2021-08-23 15:08:18

frederik
Male (40), Germany

Understanding the equestrian aids of the rider is one of the most important things at the beginning.
For me there were quite hard lessons to understand the commands of my riders given by their weight and their crotch on my nape, the pressure of their thighs around my neck and the pressure of their legs along my body.
Giving verbal commands takes too much time and is not really professional and esthetic.
Apart from all that if the rider is sitting perfectly she will press down the head with her weight and then the sight forward is extremely limited on only a few steps forward.
So the carrier has to rely on his rider who has full overview.

#5 2021-08-23 16:09:59

Audreyb

I think ear tugging is a reasonable choice for a rider  sitting on  a carrier  that has ears that are easy to  reach.
This wouldn't always be my first choice because  reins and  a bit are  more effective  to  discipline a less than satisfactory carrier's performance.  But since the  mood  to  ride  may be  spontaneous  and  riding tack  not available  at  the  moment, ear  tugging  would be a reasonable option ,  especially if the carrier has hair to short or sparse to hold or give  directions  by  tugging.

I think I would  probably still direct with light  kicks  out of  habit  but ears  would be an additional option for directing and  maintaining balance.

Board footer